The Youth Camps and Exchange (YCE) program is turning 60 this year! Since the first exchange program in 1961 between Lions in California and Lions in Japan, the YCE program has been helping young people create and foster a spirit of understanding and service around the world.
Visit the Youth Camps and Exchange program website to see how we’re celebrating 60 years of unique cultural learning and service opportunities. And find out more about how you can help young people in your community gain the experience of a lifetime!
Your example is already the best reason for someone to start serving as a Lion. And there are so many more reasons why we keep serving. Here are 10 great benefits of being a Lion, which can help you maximize your membership and talk to your friends and family about joining your club so you can make an even bigger difference in your community.
Visit our blog to read, “Top 10 Benefits of Being a Lion,” and find out more about how becoming a Lion helps our communities—and ourselves—grow.
There’s nothing like being a Lion. We make a difference in our communities and in the lives of the people we serve. And even though Lions spend most of their time giving, they also get so much in return. Here’s a look at some of the great benefits of being a Lion.
- The fun and fellowship – Service isn’t just meaningful. It’s fun. We build new friendships in our clubs and new connections in our communities. We laugh. We bond. We serve, and we do it with a smile and an open heart.
- Opportunities to lead – Lions are leaders in their community, organizing projects that meet real needs. And you have opportunities to become a club officer so you can put your leadership skills to work for your club. Lions International offers online and in-person training that can take your leadership to the next level so you can learn, lead and grow.
- Tools to put your kindness in action – A great project takes great planning. Service Project Planners give you the tools to serve global causes right in your local community.
- A global Foundation that magnifies your service impact – Lions are supported by a world-class global foundation—Lions Clubs International Foundation. LCIF provides grant funding that helps Lions take on bigger projects that can bring lasting change. And when you contribute to LCIF and Campaign 100, you help ensure LCIF can continue supporting our efforts to serve a world in need.
- Being a part of something big – Lions are a big family. A really big family. We are 1.4 million men and women in 48,000 clubs in nearly every country on earth. We are changing our communities, club by club. And together we are changing the world.
- Tech made just for Lions – Lions are always on the go. That’s why we developed Lions digital tools like MyLion, MyLCI and Connect to make it easier to be a Lion and manage your club. Your Lion Account gives you access to it all, so get signed up today.
- You get when you give – Did you know that helping others actually helps you? A recent article in Psychology Today states that, “Research has found many examples of how doing good, in ways big or small, not only feels good, but also does us good.” Volunteering improves our happiness, health and sense of well-being, and decreases symptoms of depression. Giving is a win-win!
- All the great Lions gear – Everyone loves to show their Lion’s pride, and there’s no better way than wearing a Lions International-branded hat, shirt or vest while serving your community. Start shopping!
- That ah-ha moment – Every Lion joins a club, but every member has a story about the moment they truly became a Lion. That day when you helped someone who had nowhere else to turn. The tears of joy. The heartfelt thanks. The hope you restored through your kindness. That’s why we’re Lions.
- An international staff that’s here to serve you – No one serves like a Lion, and Lions International is your team of dedicated professionals that’s here to serve you. We’re here when you need us, and be sure to explore lionsclubs.org for great info and resources to help you and your club.
These are just some of the great benefits of being a Lion. So be sure to take advantage of everything your club and your membership has to offer. And share the joy of being a Lion by inviting a friend or family member to join you in service.
- So make the most of each day—and make the most of your membership!
It is my pleasure to congratulate each of you for stepping up to continue serving your esteemed Lions Club in year of 2021-2022.
Every journey begins with a single step. One act of service, one encouraging word, one gift of generosity is often all it takes to bring hope where it’s needed the most.
Over the last 100 years, the kindness of Lions and Leos has multiplied across borders, oceans, and continents. With over 1.4 million members, we now have an opportunity to truly change our world.
That’s why we’re uniting our global service around five areas of need. These Global Causes present significant challenges to humanity, and we believe it’s our turn to meet them.
Fellow Lions, my theme of this Lion year is: ‘Engage to Serve’. Engage with every Lions to Serve, to Make someone have a better tomorrow. To dedicate ourselves more to services this year. We will make ourselves a gift to humanity to rescue the disadvantage during this pandemic time.
It is an incredibly exciting year to be a Lion. Strengthen Lion in your Region, Increase our impact, expand our reach, enhance participation engagement, and increase our ability to adapt the new norm.
I am very much looking forward to serving alongside with everyone of you, and am excited to make a difference with you all in the upcoming Lion year of 2021-2022.
Last but not least, I would like to thank Organizing Chairperson Lion Alex Cheong and all committees to make this District Governor virtual Inauguration and Installation of Cabinet Officers happened.
Roar Roar Roar
Yours in Lionism
Lydia Lu Siew Fong
District Governor District 308-A2
Fiscal Year 2021-2022