The Lions International Youth Camp and Exchange Program is life-changing. Participants have a unique cultural learning experience whether in their own country or traveling to another, living with a host family and taking part in a camp.
How the Youth Camp and Youth Exchange Program Works
The success of the Youth Camp and Exchange Program is the result of cooperation among many people. The program begins when:
- A young person requests sponsorship from a local Lions club to become a Lions youth camp or youth exchange participant
- A Lions club seeks young people to participate in their youth camp and exchange program.
Participation in the YCE program is open to all young people who are:
- The appropriate age
- Sponsored by a Lions club
- Capable of representing their sponsoring Lions club, community, and country
- Willing to accept the customs of another culture
Type of Youth Exchanges
Youth Exchanges can be arranged in hundreds of countries where there are Lions clubs. Most exchanges last between 4-6 weeks during which the participants (ages 15-21) stay with one or more host families in another country. Participants experience life as part of their host family.
Youth Camps are 1-2 weeks long and bring together young people (ages 16-22) from around the world. Camps usually include a family stay that lasts between 1-4 weeks. More than 100 Lions camps are held each year in about 39 countries. Activities include visits to places of cultural or natural interest, sporting events and country presentations by the camp participants.